Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Poem for Chinese New Year!

Sorry for the late posting of all my posts on my blog. Here I have a refined version of my poem for Chinese New Year. Please enjoy:



Red and a sea of red
Is all I see.
Then 'Boom' and
Firecrackers pop.
The sounds reverberate
Like numerous drums playing altogether.


I look around,
Still, a sea of red
Is all I see.
Silky, traditional,
Buttoned-down collars all around


In Chinatown,
Shoppers and vendors haggle prices
Which happen simultaneously.
The noise pollution.
I can't think.
The food is all so appetising,
But I can only stare and drool.
My parents buy the food,
But say,
"Ah boy, these are for the visitors!"


Visitors arrive,
They gorge on the delicacies,
Bite after bite.
I can only stare and drool.
But I benefit too as
Notes appear in red packets.


I saunter out,
quite dissatisfied with the food prohibitions but,
All around me,
Still a sea of red
is all I can see.



Thank you for taking the time to read this poem.


Ong Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment